Mumbai, the financial capital of India is also home to some of the best colleges in the country. There are a variety of courses and streams on offer. The fast-paced life and employment opportunities are other factors that attract students not only from within the country but from other countries too, to study in this great city called the Gateway of India.
Why Study in Mumbai?
Mumbai is credited with many capitals – it is the financial capital. It is also the cultural capital of India. It is the city of Nightlife, industries, Fashion, and Bollywood. Education in Mumbai happens not only within the four walls of the college or university but also on the streets and local trains.
Mumbai is the city of opportunities. Whether you are an aspiring actor, singer, artist, or engineer, Mumbai has something to offer you. It is home to great research institutes, universities, and colleges and has therefore been dubbed a knowledge hub. Mumbai is the city that never sleeps. It is also an industrial hub offering employment opportunities to everyone from the illiterate to the highest qualified individuals. As a student on the streets of Mumbai, you’ll never be at a loss. From street food to an abundance of auto-rickshaws and taxis, you can find almost anything you need no matter where you are. And finally, Mumbai is the preferred destination for many immigrants, tourists, and students coming from overseas. Here’s a glance at the top colleges the city of dreams has to offer.
Top Colleges in Mumbai
Mumbai is home to more than 200 colleges in various streams like engineering, medicine, commerce, arts, law, fine arts, and more apart from educational institutions offering short-term courses in various niches as well as technical training institutes. Mumbai University is one of the largest universities in the country. Here are some of the best colleges in the city:
St. Xavier’s College
A privately owned Roman Catholic college St. Xaviers is run by the Bombay Province branch of the Society of Jesus. It is located in the Fort area of Mumbai or downtown Mumbai. The first college to become an autonomous University, St. Xaviers offers high-school (X, XII), under-graduate, and post-graduate courses in Arts, Science, and Commerce. There are also a number of diploma and certificate courses on offer.
As far as ranking is concerned, St. Xavier’s College has been awarded the #1 rank as India’s private autonomous college by the Education World for two consecutive years. The NIRF (National Institutional Ranking Framework) ranked it at 90 for overall performance in 2020. The NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) has conferred A+ on this esteemed college. Other rankings include #8 for Arts by The Week in 2020 and #6 in 2021.
If you are desirous of securing admission at St. Xaviers, here’s what you need to know:
- Admission to this college is based on both merit lists and entrance exam criteria.
- The cut-off for the entrance exam that is conducted by the college ranges from 92-98 percentile for the general category students.
- The annual fees for various courses range from Rs 5,000 to 75,000 per year.
- The faculty members are excellent and they provide proper guidance to the students.
- The students get the best placement opportunities from the top 80-100 companies.
- The highest salary package has touched about INR 30 LPA mark.
- Some of the top recruiters associated with this college are Accenture, Axis Bank, Mahindra & Mahindra, and many more.
Mithibai College and NMIMS
Located in the Ville Parle suburb of Mumbai, Mithibai and NMIMS is a pair of the most well-known colleges in Mumbai. Both Mithibai College and NMIMS Deemed University are managed by the SVKM (Shri Vile Parle Kelavani Mandal) trust. Established in 1934 with the goal of providing basic education to children in Ville Parle, the trust has since expanded to all metro cities in India. All institutes managed by SVKM have up-to-date facilities for students including the latest technologies. The focus of all SVKM institutions is to provide the best quality education in all fields of study.
Talking about ranking, Mithibai college is accredited as an A grade institution while NMIMS rates A+. The Education World 2020 rankings put Mitihibai among the top 20 colleges as does India Today.
Courses at the Mithibai College of Arts, Science, and Commerce include both UG and PG courses as well as high-school and Ph.D. NMIMS primarily offers courses in management along with a few supplementary courses such as foreign language, ERP, and other value-added programs thus ensuring comprehensive learning for all students.
As far as admissions are concerned, here are the details:
- Admissions to all the students of UG and PG courses are based on the merit list declared by the college.
- No application fees are required for UG and PG courses but an application fee of INR 1000 is levied for application to Ph.D. courses.
- The annual fee ranges from Rs 8,000 to INR 50,000 per year for various courses.
- Both Mithibai and NMIMS have an excellent placement record with the highest pay packet close to 20 LPA and an average CTC of 7 LPA.
- Top recruiters include Google, Infotech, Tech Mahindra, and so on.
IIT Bombay- Indian Institute of Technology
The famed Indian Institute of Technology a.k.a. IIT in Mumbai (Bombay) has earned the moniker of the Institute of National Importance. IIT has been ranked #2 by ARIIA (Atal Ranking of Institutions on Innovation Achievements) in 2021 and #3 by the NIRF. These rankings only underline the caliber of the already popular IIT.
IIT is an initiative of the Ministry of Education and is governed by the MoE and the Institutes of Technology Act 1961. Each of the 23 campuses in India is an independent autonomous Public Technical University linked through the IIT Council which oversees the administration of all campuses.
Admission criteria for IIT:
- Passing the JEE is mandatory for admission.
- If you are seeking admission in M.Tech you must also pass the GATE.
- About 1500 candidates are selected for B.Tech at IIT Mumbai and 600 for M.Tech subject to availability of seats and the ruling of the Council.
- IIT has a placement rate as high as approximately 75%.
- Placement is usually with the top MNCs in the country and you can expect a CTC as high as 2 CPA.
- Almost every faculty member is a Ph.D. holder.
DY Patil Vidyapeeth Navi Mumbai
Established with the primary goal of providing a well-rounded education to students in all spheres, the DY Patil Vidyapeeth is a deemed university and ranks #2 among the medical colleges in India. It also ranks #3 among the private universities in India.
DY Patil as the college is popularly known in Mumbai offers courses in Science, Humanities, Law, Hospitality, and Management among others.
Here’s what you need to know if you want to study at DY Patil Navi Mumbai:
- Admission is based on Merit as well as centralized examinations depending upon the course you apply for.
- The average annual fee for various courses ranges from INR 98 thousand to slightly over 2 lakh
- Placement is available among top corporates and institutions who come to the campus for selection.
Homi Bhabha National Institute
HBNI is among the top universities in India ranking #41 in the overall ranking by NIRF and #26 in ranking by University. Located at Anushakti Nagar near the Chembur and Ghatkopar suburbs of Mumbai, the HBNI offers a total of 14 programs in the areas of science, technology, and engineering. The HBNI is affiliated with the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and the focus of the university is on quality education. Since its establishment in 2005, the institution has awarded close to 2000 Ph.D. and has over 2000 publications including Research publications and a Nuclear glossary.
Admission criteria and other information:
- Passing the GATE is mandatory for admission to HBNI.
- Most of the faculty are Ph.D. holders.
- Fees range from INR 10,000 to INR 30,000 per year
- Top recruiters visit the college for campus placements
So if you are an aspiring candidate hoping to fulfill your dream of completing your advanced studies and pursuing your career in the city of dreams we hope this article would help you make the right choice. If you still have any questions feel free to ask. We are on almost all social media channels. Just type blogyourniches in your search bar to find us. You can also reach out on Quora and find us in your Google search. And finally, do make sure you never miss a post from BYN by signing up for our newsletter.